20 Aug Beautiful In The City: Ole Smoky Distillery
We’ve unveiled our Nashville beauty movement “Beautiful In The City” already, but let’s recap:
It’s simple. We believe every single person that walks through our doors is beautiful. Our goal? Help them see and feel it, too. Follow our hashtags #discoveryourbeautiful and #beautifulinthecity to take a tour of our work and clientele in a new series we are so excited to introduce: ‘Beautiful In The City.’ A series of stories told through beautiful imagery highlighting fashion, style, culture and the beauty of everyday life in Nashville, TN.
Small Businesses. Good Style. That is the Nashville we know and love.
When you think of Nashville, what first comes to mind? Daisy Dukes, bachelorette parties and hot chicken, maybe? Yes, all definitely here. But beyond the “Nash Vegas” faćade, lives a deeply-rooted artist town rich in spirit and a lot of heart. Hard-working small businesses, a thriving music and arts community, and so. much. talent. Big brands, small brands. And it’s growing like crazy.
In order to pull off our vision for Beautiful In The City, we contacted a handful of these neighboring small businesses and asked them if we could use their space for our amazing photographer (Jamie Wright Images) to capture our models. These were obviously hair photoshoots, but we also wanted to highlight the like-minded small businesses we support in the area who put quality service and people first, like we do.
Shine On, Ole Smoky
Ole Smoky Distillery is new–ish to the Nashville scene, located in the SoBro hood. They have three other Tennessee locations as well:
- The Holler: Gatlinburg
- The Barn: Pigeon Forge
- The Barrelhouse: Gatlinburg
Imagine this: specialty moonshine for the ladies, craft beers for the boys, and a game of corn hole or ping pong for the kids. That’s just tapping the surface of this place.
“Born from Appalachian mud and mist. We are Appalachian born and bred. Created from hospitality, craftsmanship and pride. Built from passed-down secrets and traditions. Descended from good people and shared with the same. We are Ole Smoky Distillery.”
“The Ole Smoky families are among the first to step foot in the Smoky Mountains. Like other families, they have honed the art of whiskey making and when Tennessee state law changed to allow the distillation of spirits, they saw an opportunity to showcase the art of superior mountain-made moonshine.” Fun fact, “Ole Smoky is the first federally licensed distillery in the history of East Tennessee.”
Not only does their story alone make me want to frequent this business, but honestly, we were blown away by this place. We’ve been to the Gatlinburg distillery, but to have this family-run and family-FRIENDLY destination in our own community is really something special. “Ole Smoky expanded their presence in Tennessee by joining forces with Yee Haw Brewing Company in late 2018, to collectively open a complex in Nashville’s burgeoning area of SoBro. The venue, currently being called 6th & Peabody, features a distillery, brewery, bars, tasting areas, beer & bottle shops, merchandise, big screen TVs and live entertainment.” There truly is something for everyone and all age groups. Find White Duck Taco and Nashville’s own Prince’s Hot Chicken, as well as purchase jars of moonshine and various beers to enjoy later.
The Ole Smoky team was so kind and willing to help us out. (Thanks, Jessi, Joe and Team!) We had the best afternoon sipping on moonshine (try the margarita flavor for goodness sake: it’s on a whole other playing field) and go visit 6th and Peabody! It’s an afternoon well spent. We promise- you won’t leave hungry, thirty or disappointed. Please enjoy responsibly. 🙂
Meet Our Gorgeous Client (AND Owner of Ole Smoky), Jessi
You read that right. Jessi is part owner of this amazing brand. We are so lucky to have such interesting and talented guests in our chairs!
Jessi sees owner Lee for cuts and color. She says, “Lee would know better than I do what he does to my hair. I love it and I love him!” Jessi also has her husband Joe, son Joseph, and employee Adam coming to Style House–the guys see Holly for men’s cuts. Even her publicist Christina started coming too!
Joe and Jessi started Ole Smoky almost ten years ago with two friends and colleagues, Cory Cottongim and Tony Breeden. Her original job in the business was in retail items and flavor development, which eventually narrowed into developing a line of moonshine food items. While she’s less involved in the day to day business now, she just completed her first cookbook, which was released on June 11th. Shining, an Ole Smoky Moonshine Family Cookbook, can be found on Amazon or in our distilleries and locally at Nashville’s Parnassus Books.
Jessi is originally from Gatlinburg, Tennessee, though she’s been lucky to live a lot of places over the last few years, “Gatlinburg will always be home,” she says.
Her favorite place in Nashville is Percy Warner Park. “I really enjoy hiking there. Second to that, you can find me at 6th and Peabody! I love what we’ve built there in Sobro and I am excited to see the area south of Broadway grow.”
“I loved this experience because it was the first time in my adult life that I’ve had my hair and make up done for a photo shoot. I felt special and confident and really beautiful. I also have to say, the team that Lee brought was amazing. He has such an incredibly warm and welcoming salon, and the staff is approachable and talented. Thanks so much for choosing me to do this!”
Q: When do you feel most beautiful?
A: “I feel beautiful when I’m strong and confident. I feel beautiful when I am sending love and positivity out into the world. Kindness, both giving and receiving, makes me feel part of my community in a beautiful and relevant way.”
About The Look
Stylist Ali Ellis was responsible for these soft waves that would pair just as great with jeans (as seen on Jessi) as it would with a sundress.
Ali used the following products and tools to create the look:
- Jessi arrived with clean and dry hair, so Ali gave it some extra fuff with her Babyliss Pro Portofino dryer.
- Ali then used a Bioionic 1.25″ iron for Jessi’s waves.
- Texture Wave Texturizing Spray by Shuuemura: Ali used this spray before and after curling. The dry texturizing spray offers long-lasting flexible hold while providing an airy finish from mid-lengths to ends while increasing hair volume at the roots. Great for second-day hair and perfect for creating beach waves with grip and hold. Leaving hair with a matte finish.
- Elixir Ultime LHuile Original Hair Oil by Kérastase: Ali used this product for finishing the look. Work into the ends of the hair to control frizz, smooth and style
- Sheer Lacquer Hair Spray by Shuuemura: Ali used this spray to hold the style and fix pieces throughout the shoot. Achieve all your styling desires courtesy of this fine micro-mist hair spray that creates a strong, yet flexible hold with long-lasting finish and workable control that ensures shape memory so you can brush through after application and still enjoy long-lasting staying power. The hair spray also contains UV inhibitors that shield from environmental aggressors & provides heat protection and humidity resistance. Great for slicked back styles, high hold updos and texturized blowouts.
Stylist and Makeup Artist Hannah Draeger matched the soft waves with a sophisticated and peachy palette on Jessi.
Hannah’s favorite products used to create the look:
- It Cosmetics CC Cream: Developed with plastic surgeons, Your Skin But Better CC+ Cream with SPF 50+ is your #1 best-selling,* award-winning color correcting cream that delivers 7 products in one, including your full-coverage foundation, hydrating anti-aging serum and SPF 50+ physical sunscreen. Your multitasking beauty miracle provides clinically tested hydration while diffusing the appearance of skin imperfections for flawless-looking coverage that won’t crease or crack. Infused with hydrolyzed collagen, peptides, niacin, hyaluronic acid, antioxidants and vitamins, this skin-loving full-coverage foundation diffuses the look of wrinkles, minimizes the appearance of pores and gives you a luminous, supple, flawless-looking complexion. It’s truly your must-have for instant complexion perfection!
- Morphe Pallete for Eyes: From cooler grey-toned browns to fiery sunset colors, this palette is a beautiful mix of wearable warm neutrals that give you effortless versatility whether you are after a daytime look or full-on glam. The perfect balance of matte and shimmery finishes make it a go-to for makeup lovers at every skill level. Get everything you need to highlight, blend and transition without ever wearing the same look twice. (Finish: matte and shimmer.)
- Ardell Lashes: Fluffy and barely there, the 424 Naked Lash wides and brightens your eyes without any extra bulk! This is our gorgeous new lash collection that feels like wearing nothing and enhances your own natural lashes with subtle volume and length. Beautiful, soft and lightweight lashes that blend seamlessly with your natural lashes.
- Becca Luminous Blush: A buildable pressed luminous powder that instantly awakens your entire complexion with cheek-popping color.
- Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray: Hannah loves this spray because it’s great for Nashville’s Humidity and has top notch lasting power. Mist on this weightless spray to give your makeup serious staying power. All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray keeps makeup looking gorgeously just-applied for up to 16 hours—without melting, fading or settling into fine lines.
- Maybelline Matte Lip Cream: Go creamy matte for bold impact! A burst of statement-making color meets a surge of creamy texture.
Meet Jamie Wright Images
Nashville native and professional photographer, Jamie has been creating and telling stories with his camera for 25 years and he’s still loving every second of it. See more of his work on his website or on Instagram.
More Beautiful In The City stories coming soon. We can’t wait to share more with you all! Up next, White’s Mercantile!